Losing ten pounds in ten days is not an easy endeavor. Start by following a strict diet. Cut carbs and sugar. Consume more protein and water. Cut 500 calories each day. Eat smaller, more frequent meals. Work out and exercise. Focus on cardio and walk a lot. Maintain a healthy lifestyle for lasting effects.
1: Cut carbohydrates
To lose weight quickly, you should eliminate the sugars found in most carbohydrates. Simple, or bad, carbohydrates include foods like bread, pasta, and potatoes. All carbohydrates break down into glucose which provides your body with energy. In a weight loss study, people who cut out carbohydrates were more likely to lose weight than going on a low-fat diet.
Cutting out carbs will help suppress your appetite and lower your blood sugar.
Complex carbohydrates, or ‘healthier’ carbohydrates, are found in whole wheat, vegetables, fruits, and beans. These do not have to be completely eliminated from your diet but should be eaten in moderation.
2: Eliminate junk food
Junk food will stop you from losing weight. Eliminate it totally from your diet and from your home. You should remove junk food from temptation; clean out your pantry, fridge, and freezer.Avoid eating out at restaurants where these temptations are present. Some junk food to avoid include:
Sugary drinks – This includes any drink that has sugar as an ingredient. The most common of these is pop/soda. However, some fruit juices have added sugar.
- White bread and pasta
- Butter or margarine
- Pastry, cookies, and cakes
- French fries and potato chips
- Ice cream
- Processed meats and cheeses
- High calorie coffee drinks
- Most fast food
- Most processed foods
- Foods high in sugar
The American Heart Association recommends an adult woman only eating six teaspoons of (about 100 calories) of sugar per day. To lose weight rapidly, you may need to eliminate even this much.
- Just because you cut junk food from your diet does not meet you have cut all sugars. Sugars can be hidden in foods such as breads, condiments, and sauces. Always check your nutrition label for the sugar content in food.
When trying to lose weight, upping your protein intake may be the key. Protein will help you lose weight but keep muscle mass and help you burn calories more quickly. Consider doubling or even tripling your recommended daily amount (RDA) of protein to lose weight.
- Your RDA will depend on your gender and height. For example, a 5’5” (165 cm) woman should eat around 90g of protein a day.
- The average protein intake, for weight maintenance, for the average adult is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. To calculate individual need, multiple your body weight, in pounds, by .36. This will give your RDA of protein in grams.
- Healthy proteins include greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, steak, ground beef, chicken breasts, yellowfin tuna, halibut, salmon, anchovies, navy beans, lentils, peanut butter.
Studies show that drinking 16oz of water before a meal will help you lose weight. It makes you feel more full and helps keep you hydrated.
- You should drink around 8, 8oz glasses of water a day to stay hydrated. However, you need to drink more if you are exercising more. Drink enough that your urine is light in color.