A headache is a continuous pain in the head and this condition might cause severe pain known as a migraine. The pain is unbearable and many people cannot finish even the simplest daily tasks.
Below we are going to present you a list of 15 methods that will help you to relieve the pain caused by a headache.
- Drink water. Medical experts explain that in many cases, the headache is caused by dehydration. So, a few cups of water might solve the problem.
- Give yourself a scalp massage. Scientific studies showed that by massaging the back of your head at the base of your skull, or more precisely the greater occipital nerve, you can relieve the pain caused by a headache.
- Press the webbed area between your thumb and pointer finger. All you should do is gentle to massage this area for one minute and then switch to the other hand.
- Stretch. Muscle tension is a common cause of headaches and simply by stretching your neck, you can relieve the tension and the pain, as well.
- Eat watermelon. In case if a headache is caused by dehydration, it is advisable to eat water-rich foods. This will rehydrate your body and reduce the pain.
- Massage peppermint oil onto your temples, the back of your jaw and your forehead. It is scientifically proved that peppermint oil promotes blood flow and has the ability to relieve headaches.
- Breathe deeply. Anytime you feel pain, your body gets stressed. In order to relax and ease the tension, it is advisable to take deep breaths and exhale slowly.
- Drink a cup of coffee. Doctors explain that sometimes the headache might occur as a result of expanding of blood vessels. The caffeine contained in coffee has the ability to constrict these blood vessels and on that way brings them back down to their normal size.
- Drink apple cider vinegar. In a big glass of water dilute 2 tablespoons of ACV and add a bit of honey or lemon juice for a better taste. ACV will restore the acid-alkaline balance in your organism and thus will reduce the headache pain.
- Hold a pencil between your teeth but try not to gnaw on it. By holding the pencil between your teeth, very lightly, you will activate your “smile” muscles and in the same time, you will relax your jaw. When are stressed, some people clench their teeth and the straining of the muscle that connects the jaw to the temples can cause a tension headache.
- Drink ginger tea. Ginger possesses potent anti-inflammatory properties and it is one of the most effective natural cures that efficiently alleviate almost any type of pain.
- Apply ice to your temples. The artery that supplies blood to the lining of the brain is located behind the thin bone at the temple. When the patient has a migraine, his/her lining get inflamed and in order to relieve the throbbing, it is advisable to lower the temperature of the blood passing through that area.
It is important to mention that you should wrap the ice in a cloth.
- Take a hot shower. While you are taking a hot shower, make sure the let the water fall on the back of your neck. The heat will relax the tense muscles and the pain caused by a headache will be significantly reduced.
- Eat something spicy. All you should do is to sprinkle some cayenne pepper onto your meal. Capsaicin is an active component of chili peppers (cayenne) and this ingredient has the ability to control the pain perception.
- Meditate. Try to focus your attention away from the pain you are experiencing. With a meditation, you can quiet your mind and distract yourself from a headache until the unbearable pain goes away. Play relaxing music, take some comfortable position and slowly breathe in and breathe out.