Vaginal odor is a common problem faced by most women very frequently. The foul vaginal smell can occur due to a number of reasons. These can range from STDs to hormonal changes, poor hygiene, yeast infections and bacterial growth. It is extremely normal for your vagina to have a slight odor due to the unavoidable white feminine discharge, but if you are having a strong odor, such as an unpleasant smell or a fishy smell, you need to look into the reasons why. Vaginal odor is a common problem faced by most women very frequently. The foul vaginal smell can occur due to a number of reasons. These can range from STDs to hormonal changes, poor hygiene, yeast infections and bacterial growth. It is extremely normal for your vagina to have a slight odor due to the unavoidable white feminine discharge, but if you are having a strong odor, such as an unpleasant smell or a fishy smell, you need to look into the reasons why.
This strong vaginal odor is sometimes accompanied by other symptoms such as vaginal discharge, vaginal irritation, burning or itching. While it is impossible to get rid of feminine discharge from your vagina altogether, you can always ensure that it doesn’t make your vagina stink. Generally, the odor is accompanied by other symptoms. In case it is not, then probably you need not worry much.
Symptoms of vaginal discharge
Symptoms of vaginal discharge vary among most women. The most common signs are:
• Excessive white discharge
• Discharge (colorless or colored) with a foul smell
• Discharge (colorless or colored) with a metallic smell
• Thick, white colored discharge
• Fishy odor from vagina
• Yellow or green discharge
• Pain or itch in the vaginal area
• Pain in your lower abdomen
• Pain during sex
Cause that leads to vaginal odor
Vaginal odor can be the result of several causes. Mentioned below are some of them:
1. Bacterial infection: This is one of the most common causes of a vaginal infection leading to foul vaginal odor. The bacteria affect more than 30% of the women who are presently in their reproductive stage.
2. Hormonal changes are another reason for having a stinky vagina. Your menstrual cycle has a closer relationship with vaginal odor than you would imagine.
3. Sweating can often lead to your vagina having an unpleasant odor. Make sure to keep your genital area as dry as you can.
4. Poor hygiene often leads to a fishy vaginal odor. Make sure to clean your vagina at least twice a day.
5. Forgotten or a retained tampon will actually fall into the category of poor sanitation, and it is more common than you would expect. Awareness and cleanliness is extremely important in preventing that smelly discharge after your periods.
6. Infections that are sexually transmitted like Trichomoniasis, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia. They cause a grey, yellow or green discharge with a foul odor.
7. Fancy thongs can sometimes be the cause of foul odor as well. Your vagina needs to breathe freely, so try not using them.
8. Tight clothing doesn’t let your vagina breathe which can often lead to accumulation of sweat which in turn causes your vagina to smell unpleasant.
9. Eating lot of spicy food often leads to an increase in vaginal discharge which in turn increases your chances of having a foul vaginal odor.
Home remedies to get rid of vaginal odor
Some cases of vaginal odor can be cured with a few home remedies mentioned below:
Daily consumption of yogurt might help you in eliminating vaginal odor. You can either include it in your diet or apply it to your vaginal area topically. Yogurt can be applied topically in two ways:
Yogurt bath: This is a simple remedy. While preparing your bath, add some yogurt to it and then take bath normally. While taking bath, pay close attention to your genitals and wash them properly with water.
Direct application: Take a cup of yogurt and a tampon. Dip the tampon in the yogurt and insert the tampon in your vagina. Leave it there for around 3-4 hours, then take the tampon out and wash your vagina with lukewarm water. This is one of the best methods to get rid of vaginal odor overnight.