Vaginal odor is a very common problem that affects women and teenage girls who have reached puberty. This article talks about the symptoms and causes of smelly discharge and/or excessive discharge. We have also compiled 10 of the best home remedies for this feminine odor that can help you get rid of this rather personal worry in the comforts your home.
The vagina, uterus, or cervix produces a clear or whitish fluid, and this is called as vaginal discharge. Its consistency and color depending on where you are in your monthly menstrual cycle. This discharge is usually odorless or may have a faint odor. It helps in providing lubrication, protecting against irritation and infection, and keeping the vagina healthy. However, abnormal vaginal discharge that has an unusual and foul odor may be a cause of concern. There may also be a change in color, consistency, and/or a significant increase or decrease in quantity.
Vaginal Odor Symptoms
The symptoms of the feminine odor coming from your private parts vary among women. The most commonly seen symptoms are:
- Excessive white discharge
- Foul-smelling discharge
- Metallic-smelling discharge
- Thick, white discharge
- Fishy smell
- Green or yellow discharge
- Itching or pain in the vagina
- Pain in the lower abdomen area
- Pain during intercourse
Causes of Vaginal Odor
There are many factors that can lead to a change in your vaginal discharge and/or cause that fishy smell down there. The following are the usual causes of vaginal odor:
- Vaginal yeast infection resulting in thick, white discharge.
- Sexually transmitted infections like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomoniasis causing green, yellow, or gray discharge with a foul odor. This can also be accompanied by pain in the pelvic area.